Saturday, October 22, 2016

I Hope You Realize How Important It Is To Prepare

Jack Wyrtzen, a very successful sharer of hope and the founder of the highly impactful Word of Life ministries, was fond of saying, "I believe it is the responsibility of every generation to reach their generation for Christ." That is such an inspiring message in just a few words. It is a call to arms, a command for those in our generation who have the hope of Jesus to bring it to others in the world. Almost like an ad campaign for a job:

Calling all Christians! Help spread the Word! It's worth it in the end! Benefits include life after death - ultimate health insurance - riches beyond belief in heaven! Help save the world!

Except that it isn't us saving the world. We are not superheroes. We are not angels. We are humans - flawed, sinful, selfish, prideful humans - and we don't have it under control. And, "You can't do the will of God if you don't know the Word of God,": another popular "Jack-ism".

Which brings me to the point I'd like to discuss today.

Too often today I hear young people refusing to open their minds to the possibility of deep Bible study because it "isn't part of my plan" or "I don't have enough time" or even going so far as to say "that would be a waste of time". Too often basketball or boyfriends or work or life in general gets in the way and we're like, "Nah, I'll hold off for now. It can wait." But while we're sitting around waiting, we are wasting time that could, and should, and must, be spent preparing for the ministry that God has planned for our lives.

Do you really know enough on your own?

Are you prepared to lead your children to Christ? Do you have the knowledge to witness and be a light in your workplace?

No. The fact remains that most likely, no matter how put together you think you are, how much of a light you think you will be in your workplace, you have nothing without the knowledge of God.

Nothing.

Too many young people, too many of my friends, are career-driven. Too many young people think that church is enough, that the Sunday school lessons and youth group messages and small groups will be enough preparation for the task ahead. But no matter how prepared you might think you are, there is always more that God wants to teach you.

In order to be a light as a doctor, as a teacher, as a writer, or as a parent, one must take the time to learn. This is not to say that you haven't been brought up well. This is not to say that you are any less talented or any less spiritual. This is just to say that the youth of today have a pride issue, and that absolutely must be addressed if anything is to get done for Christ in our generation. This pride issue is unnoticed and practiced unwittingly, but it is still there, festering and growing under the wily and deceptive teaching of the world. These are subtly input into the young person through the media - through the T.V. shows and movies we watch, through the music we listen to, through the posts we see online. Everyone has an agenda. The world says things like, "You are who you are,", "Every inch of you is perfect,", "I shake it off,", "I don't have time for people who hate me because I'm too busy loving me."

I'm not saying that body positivity or whatever isn't good. All I'm saying is that the media is brainwashing you into thinking that you are serving you, and in the life of a Christian, that is simply not true.

You are not in control of your life. If you are truly a Christian, then you have made a decision to commit your life to Christ - which means you have surrendered your plan. It isn't your plan anymore. It is subject to change at any time. And that is a truth that must be accepted if we are to reach our generation. Psalm 10:4 describes this situation perfectly when it says, "In his pride the wicked man does not seek Him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God." A humble spirit is about making yourself smaller to make God bigger.

"He has given me those dreams as a part of His purpose."
Being a young person myself and in the midst of deliberating God's plan for my future, I have come to the realization that I have a pride issue myself. In all my wanting to change the world and do great things, in all my desire to make people happy and do something that matters in this life, I had forgotten that God runs it all. Without Him, it is impossible for my dreams to come true because He has given me those dreams as a part of His divine purpose. 1 Corinthians 2:9 says, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him." He has a wonderful plan and I am a part of that. But I cannot do anything real, anything that matters, without Him. It is impossible.

"You can't do the will of God if you don't know the Word of God."

Do I truly know the Word of God? And how much do I have to know to be able to discern God's will for my life?

Think on this, friends. We have been given a quest. In all the great stories, did the hero just sit up one day and decide, "I think today I'll defeat Voldemort," or "Guess I should tackle the Dark Side today, hope the Force is on my side,"? No! Practice was involved! Learning was crucial to success! It always is, you know. No one intrinsically has the knowledge of anything. And yet we think we can handle everything.

Why is that?

Truly, we are small beings. We are like ants who think we can move a piece of bread without working up our strength. It a wonder God chooses to use us at all, frail that we are, and yet He does, in His infinite mercy. We are called to this. This is our quest. To reach our generation for Christ.


But, like Harry or Luke, we can't just sit up in bed one morning and say to ourselves, "I'm going to start a praise team," or "I know it's God's will for me to marry - so-and-so." The knowledge of the Bible is crucial to anything and everything we do, from day-to-day choices to important life decisions.

Sometimes, those who have grown up in Christian households may feel like they already know all there is to know about the Bible. Some people do not feel the need for special study. But there is always something more to learn. Especially for the young person, just starting out in life and not sure exactly where God has placed them, serious devotion to Bible study is a good thing and, dare I say, a necessary thing. Even Paul, one of the most learned men of his time, spent three years preparing in Damascus before beginning ministry and then spent another eleven years participating in local church ministries before heading out on his first missionary trip (Galatians 1:11-24). There is always more that God wants us to learn and always something to prepare for.

The realization that God's plan may not be your plan might be a scary thing at first. It was for me. I was terrified at the prospect of attending Word of Life Bible Institute for an entire year before what I considered my "real life" could begin. But the more I prayed and thought about it, the more I began to realize that God does not waste our time, especially time spent in His Word. I don't know everything and I am not well-equipped for my life ahead: but I want to be. And walking blindly into ministry is not something that is smart or necessarily valuable, no matter how well-developed your (or my) particular talents are. God's plan for your life may not include Bible college, and I can't tell you what His plan is specifically, but I can tell you this: if your heart is hardened to the prospect of serious Bible study, then you will miss out on the benefits that this brings. Psalm 34:10 says, "Those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing." This does not mean that if you casually study the Bible you will get whatever you want. This means that God wishes His followers to study and get to know Him through His Word, and those who obey this command will reap the benefits that others will miss out on, not only in ministry but also in life.

So, dear friends, please open your minds and hearts to the prospect of preparation, whether that means something as intense as attending a Bible school for a year or simply taking the time for daily devotions. The heart needs to be conditioned. If not, it will fall back into the ways of the world. For those who love Jesus and wish to serve Him, anything can be a ministry, but nothing will be pleasing if not done with the right motives and the correct understanding of the Word of God. Yes, we are called to reach our generation for Christ. But we cannot do it without knowledge of who Christ is. Be open to change. Be open to learn. Not only will your ministry benefit, but you will benefit as well.


_______________________________________________________________________________

For more about Jack, see: Jack Wyrtzen (Wikipedia)

For more on intensive Bible and ministry training, see: Word of Life Bible Institute: Deepen Your Faith

For an opportunity for students to intern in a local church and learn what it means to be part of the Body of Christ, see: The 360 Experience


1 comment:

  1. Yes indeed. Intentional Bible study is necessary in order to intentionally please the Lord. You cannot accidentally please God, you must be intentional about it.

    ReplyDelete