Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I Hope You Take Time To Give Credit

"Yeah. I'm so wise. I'm a regular Gandalf."
So, my cousin practically begged me to write another post. Apparently, she's bored without my words of wisdom.

:)

Yeah. I'm so wise. I'm a regular Gandalf.

Be that as it may, today I'd like to write this post for my mother specifically, and all the other people in my life who take time out of their very busy lives to spend time with me and help me. They, among others, have passed along the wisdom that I so clumsily attempt to repeat here.

Some background: A few months ago I got the opportunity to attend classes over the summer at a prestigious university. I've been really excited about it, but I put off writing the personal statement until the day it was due because I can't talk about myself. I mean, I can, but I don't like to make myself look good. I finished my statement around ten last night and my mom was going to mail the package with all the information today after work.

However.

Today, my mom was wicked sick. I mean, the "lie-around-in-bed-until-you-throw-up-and-then-lie-around-some-more" kind of sick. (Sorry if that was embarrassing, Mom...) I was sick, too, and neither of us felt like doing much of anything. But my mom, my awesome amazing mom, still got out of bed and went to the post office and mailed that package for me so I might have a chance at this exciting opportunity.

Remember what I said about love and actions? That's it!

People do things like this all the time without getting credit, so I'm giving my mom some. She works long hours all the time, and she still finds time to spend time with us (meaning, my sisters and I) and do things for us, like helping us with our homework or planning a sleepover. I think that she doesn't get thanked enough. We take these small actions of love for granted until she's forced to ask for credit: "Sophie, I did the dishes for you. Didn't you notice? Aren't you glad?"

Little acts of kindness deserve more credit, even if, perhaps, the person doing them doesn't expect it. Take a moment and say "Thank You." Write a thank-you note. Send a thank-you text. Did someone talk with you for hours after your breakup? Thank you, Kenzie. Does someone drive you to your violin lesson every week? Thanks, Grandma. Did someone plan a party for you and your cousins, even though they have crazy lives as well? Thank you, Auntie Bee and Auntie Jennie. "In all things, give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

The concept of gratitude is lost on this generation. We expect things. We assume that we deserve the acts of kindness and so we neglect to give thanks to those who've earned it.

"Why should she talk with me for hours after my breakup? Well, she's my best friend! She's obligated to do that! It's in her job description! Who cares if she's on vacation? I'm more important!"

What?

"Of course they should plan a party for us! We're awesome! We deserve a party!"

Seriously?

"She's my mom! She has to mail my packages. She has to take care of my responsibilities. She's sick? So what? What is that compared to the chance to go to a great college in a different country this summer!"

Say it isn't so.

We are steeped in a culture of selfishness, and I would just like to point this out to those who aren't aware.

Look back at those examples: "She's MY best friend!" "I'M more important!" "We're AWESOME!" "We DESERVE..." "She's MY mom!" "It's MY chance." Maybe those were a little ridiculous. I mean, no one talks like that, right?

I wouldn't be so sure. We may not actually voice that kind of thought process, but it is ingrained in the media, and it is a part of our sin nature that is especially hard to combat. Even if you don't say it, even if you don't consciously think it, at least once or twice you've acted in such a way that proves you expect to be waited on. I'm guilty of this. I think we're all guilty of this. But I'm not necessarily trying to make you feel guilty. All I'm saying is that this is a problem today, and it's one that I think we can attempt to fix. After all, knowing that the problem exists is the first step to solving it!

The next step would be intentionally noticing the kindnesses of others.

The third step would be a "Thank You" directed towards those kindnesses.

Even if this is just thanking that guy for scooting over at the movies so you and your buddies can sit together. Even if this is just thanking the grocery store checkout lady. Even if this is just thanking God for keeping you alive. They're steps in the right direction. And if you do this, people will notice. I said, "Thank you!" once to the guy who gives out the shoes at the bowling alley, and my friends were like, "Sophie, you're so nice!" I mean, it was just his job, but it's refreshing for others to see a kindness returned for their own. It's something relatively easy to do that will shine a light in this world. So, I hope you remember to take the time to give credit to others who do things for you, even if it's only something small; but especially if it's something big.

"I can no other answer make but thanks and thanks and ever thanks." ~ William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, Act III, Scene III  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment